Tuesday, February 15, 2011

spring on the island?

Pick the sport - CAREFULLY - and if you picked the right one for the weather it's going to be awesome. Last week I started with skate skiing Monday - poor choice as the trails were very icy and the going pretty awful. Tuesday I thought a road bike ride would be best - and low and behold - I get the little sticker that says "you got it right!"

I took my camera and spent a fair bit of time trying to figure out where on my bike to attach it since I'm not wearing a backpack. If anyone knows the right location....   I was also feeling very green, mostly due to my bright green bike and my new green sugoi jacket. The sun was really warm when I stopped, and as soon as I was moving the super cold wind was trying to cut through me - but I was perfectly dressed for once! That never happens, so it was quite memorable.
Kye bay stop - I always have to stop here and just pause...

Comox Glacier


Happy Donkeys and Horses, thinking of my mom! (it's not an insult - she has donkeys and horses...!)

Swans in the meadow

it IS spring!

Then I picked work as the ideal way to spend my day - and despite some goings on didn't get any pictures or good stories.


This weekend - we picked tele skiing today! I guess we could have picked worse - I didn't do the skate ski race because I really haven't been able to train - and in a blizzard that would have been a poor choice. Mountain biking was probably wet but okay. Tele.... wellll..... not quite sure what to think of the day. But we really wanted to learn to tele a bit before telefest, and there was no lack of snow.

A bit snowy... Mattie trying to stand on Marc's skis as often as possible. Pippa stayed in the car snuggled on a warm oatbag. 

My pretty skis!

more lovely snow


trail breaking on the island

The way up actually wasn't bad, unfortunately the fluffy snow actually weighed a ton and coming down just wasn't steep enough and I could see my ski tips when I'd hauled them out of the snow, then I'd glide a bit but despite everything they would slowly start to sink - and sink - and then I was past my knees sliding and stopping - and the slog to the next steeper section took forever, so we had to flail back to the up- trail and follow it out.

Next week is telefest at Mt Cain - maybe I'll learn to tele then? I sure could use some tips.....

No comments:

Post a Comment