Wednesday, May 12, 2010

 so then I picked up the bike.... and threw it into the clearcut... 
I couldn't help it - we'd been riding FOR EVER!!!  And I thought that would make it all better. But it didn't. I just made me have to rummage around a giant clearcut (great view or not) and find my bike.

What really happened is that Sarah Seads and I decided that what you really need to do on Fridays is some good solid bike time. 
I think a picture is worth 1000 words, and I have no other pictures. 
But I have a badly drawn map: 
A brief explanation - 4.5 hours, start on the road, then gravel up Branch 21, NOT my favourite climb but that's good for suffering, down awesome continuous XC trails to KMA, up cable hill, more down. Easy Rider - not so easy as I slid down a steep gravel chute yelling back to Sarah that it's a bit STEEP (apparently I mostly squealed rather than said "steep")   Twister was the final insult, with it's skinnies and technical beating, then back to Sarah's and home in time for dinner. 

This Friday I started tired because I foolishly tried to run 10 km Thursday. Doesn't sound like such a bad idea except I don't run. Sarah might have made me regret that choice! Slightly different route - and another bad map:  We thought starting on Twister would be better than ending with it - which was true and I even got over the giant A frame without incident (bailing off the top last time was a bit unfortunate) Up the road was nice and easy, then 25 minutes of fast and flowy continuous riding to KMA. White Rabbit linking nicely into the Puntledge plunge, and out Twisted sister for a little bit of extra technical when we're nice and tired... again 4.5 hours of fun.
I don't recommend anyone actually try to ride with my map - that's the geography that's in my head, and as everyone knows, that's NOT how the land actually exists.... But there you have it. 
This July there's a 100km mountain bike race in Port Alberni - guess we'll have to do longer training rides? 

No comments:

Post a Comment